Oct 30, 2012

This is the way I wash my Clothes..........



I love mixing my homemade laundry soap..been using it for the last couple of years.....works wonderful,and the last batch lasted me six months. I shared with a lady behind me in the check out line at Walmart this recipe.....she was surprised and sounded very excited to try it. I have found I like Fels-Naptha better than Zote bar soap. They both work great,but the Fels has more of an old fashion feel and smell to me. Should that  matter? Not really,but I'm funny like that :) I am an old fashion gal... indeed.
So that would matter to me.



The recipe is as you see in the above picture...

4 lb box of 20 Mule Team Borax
4 lb box of Arm & Hammer pure baking soda
4 lb box of Arm & Hammer Super baking soda wash
2 bars of Fels - Naptha

Dump all the box ingredients in a large tub , stir together..then grate the bar soap into it. Store some in a pretty glass jar and keep the rest in tub for next use.
 That's it....



If you have never tried this...you really should....it really makes a great washing power and will save you so much money.



Blessings,Shelley

9 comments:

Rhonda Schrock said...

I, too, make my own soap. My recipe, though is somewhat bigger, and it uses a box of Oxi-Clean. It fills about half of a 5-gallon bucket. This has saved us lots of $$, which is a wonderful feeling.

Anonymous said...

I did this for many years Shelley, but alas, the clothes were not coming out clean :( my husband became quite frustrated and asked, quite nicely, to please just buy Arm & Hammer detergent and be done with it.

I gave in and began using it. Now he is happy...and peace reigns again :)

m.

Anonymous said...

great thanks for sharing shelley

Emily Fay said...

Isn't making your own soap wonderful? We sure enjoy it here! Such a SIMPLE joy in life! :)

I am emailing you - I'd love to be pen friends with you.. so look for an email soon!

Have a blessed Fall day!

Heidi said...

My husband to asked me to switch back to regular washing powder. I now use the Tide pods and they last forever! But each his own right? :)

SharonR said...

Did I miss something? Where's the recipe? I wonder if this can be used for front loading machines, that have to use the detergents with the "up" symbol?

Simply Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,the recipe is just what you see in the picture...just pour it all in a tub,bucket,etc. grate up the bar soap and mix well....I only use two tablespoons or three for a really big dirty wash.

SharonR said...

Thanks Shelley. I wondered later if it may be just dump all the containers into one container. And, I guess it was too early for me to think this morning, those front loading machines need the symbol, "he" on it. I'm guessing this will be fine.

Peggy said...

I've wanted to try this but I was wondering how do you think it would do in cold water? I do a lot of my wash with cold water.