Oct 31, 2011

Old Fashion Popcorn Balls


Today I am busy making goodies for for kiddos. I made the popcorn balls this morning,this time adding candy corn.



I usually wrap them in wax paper but,this time just put them in baggies. I think my batch turned out to be about 20. But,I did double the recipe below. My kids will be very excited to get these....I want to give them a little taste what Halloween treats used to be like. Maybe,when you and I were kids.....Cookies,popcorn balls,apples...lots of homemade goodies. It is certainly a different time we live in today. Our kids and grand kids miss so much of what we enjoyed as children. Sure they have lots we didn't have in the way of tech toys and such but,I wouldn't trade my childhood playthings and good times for a truck load of that stuff. How about you?



Old Fashion Popcorn Balls

1/4 cup of oil
1/2 cup of uncooked popcorn
1/2 cup of light corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add popcorn,cover but,leave lid off just a bit.
Shake until popping stops,turn off heat. Mix together corn syrup,sugar and salt. Add to popcorn, stirring over medium heat 3-5 minutes until sugar is dissolve and popcorn is evenly coated. Remove from heat,form into balls with butter coated hands being careful not to burn yourself. This with make about one dozen balls.
The secret to shaping the balls is to have your hands buttered really well.

My plan is to make caramel apples as well,making my caramel from scratch. We'll see how that goes...

I gathered these sticks from the yard to use in the apples...they have been washed and cleaned,now waiting for the apples to be dipped in the caramel...yum.


And here are the apples...aren't they pretty?


I hope in whatever way you choose to spend this evening is safe and fun for you and those you love, Blessings

No comments: