Aug 21, 2013

Hitty Her First Hundred Years

I first discovered Hitty while reading the book The Doll House, which was given to me by a dear friend. You may remember the post where I shared that book.... here.   In the book the doll house...Hitty is called Tottie,but she is a Hitty style doll. I created my own Hitty or Tottie from a wooden angel I already had. I removed her beaded wings...painted her some black hair,and gave her a face. The angel had been faceless to start with. Yesterday while at the library I checked out the book Hitty, Her First Hundred Years, by Rachel Field. This book was in the children's section,but anyone who is a doll fan will enjoy it...no matter their age. I read five chapters last night and I am loving the story. I am falling in love with Hitty too  :)


Goggle image


In this picture below is Tottie,the little wooden doll, along with her doll family from the doll house book.



And below is my crude example of Tottie, which I created from the wooden angel. I believe I will paint her dress and make her a few more little aprons to wear over it...switching them out from time to time.




Still I would love a more original Hitty doll to have as my own.  I will certainly be on the look out for one...who knows, just maybe I will be blessed to find one. In the mean time...I am going to enjoy finishing this book....Hitty...Her First Hundred Years. If you are a doll fan as I am...I am sure you would enjoy reading this book as well. I also checked out some more books by Gladys Taber.  So I have much reading to do, gladly  :)    Blessings to you, my dear friends, Shelley

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelley,

I loved, loved, loved the book Hitty when I was a little girl! Thank you for the memory! Sweet!
Love,
Lily, WA,USA

DollZandThingZ said...

Did you know I am a Hitty collector for more than a decade? I have carved them, made them from cloth, etc. I do love the old book...and there is a new book by Susan Jeffers which I don't like so well.

Here are some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luvzdollz/sets/72157603817100232/